Thursday 11 February 2016

Walk walk fashion baby

This one is less about being autistic - although that permeates all aspects of my being . I've been getting back into the swing of pattern drafting and designing lately . 

As a child I was devouring fashion magazines. I knew all the names of the designers I couldn't even pronounce yet. I was always so blissful in fabric shops -- mum taking me to dunelm was probably like going to the park for other kids ! Added with the fact that I'm quite good at visualising shapes and patterns together , I always wanted to go into fashion. But I didn't . I think I was too afraid . But you're no good with money. You can't plan ahead . You're no good at talking to people how would you network? (It turns out that online I can do it quite effectively).

I've been thinking about empowerment and autonomy and what that means to autistic people recently, and not believing everything you're told about what you can and can't do. This is what I love and I should follow what makes me happy .

Anyway onto my work... I'm drafting up mission statements, sewing patterns and logos for my own independent fashion label. Almost an end product of my current interest in science fiction , a genre I had never gotten into thinking that it was a total boy's club , the core fashion collection will consist of six or so key pieces inspired by the sci fi women I would love to hang out with . Ripley. Pris. Princess Leia. The Diva from the Fifth Element . But made less nerdy and reinterpreted as cool street- and clubwear. I am nervous that my executive dysfunction, coupled with burnout periods during which I am unproductive, will be my downfall. But I'm excited and I'm hopeful that I can weather it.

Here are some notes, designs , samples and process images: 


I quilted that fake leather and it's not too bad at all for my first time ! 

A

No comments:

Post a Comment